The new version of our teacher app is now available on iOS and Android, enabling more teachers to have access to their classes and taking attendance on the go.
As well as improving the look, feel and overall performance, we have added some new features including a home screen that shows your upcoming classes, substitute classes and overdue roll calls and a calendar feature for viewing and marking attendance for past classes.
Downloading the app and logging in:
- For Android devices: Visit the Google Play Store on your device and search for 'VSware'
- For iOS devices: Visit the App Store on your device and search for 'VSware
- Tap 'Install'
- Once installed on your device, you will be presented with the login screen
- Enter the VSware URL that you use when logging in usually
- Tap 'Next', enter your username and password and tap 'Login'
Note: If you already have the old version of the app on our iOS device, please delete it first before downloading the new version.
The once you're logged in, the app will remain logged in indefinitely, as is the norm with many mobile apps.
- If you wish to log out, navigate to the home page and tap your profile picture on the top right corner of the screen.
- Then tap 'Logout'
The Home Screen
The home screen will present you with the classes that you are taking on that particular day.
- If roll call is overdue, that teaching group will be highlighted in orange.
- If the roll is already taken, it will appear in green.
- If you have a class that you are covering for the day, it will appear in blue.
- This screen also displays how many individual students have had attendance recorded within a particular teaching group, allowing you to easily manage your attendance tasks for the day. E.g. 7/7 Submitted.
Marking attendance for today's teaching groups
From the home page, you will be able to tap on any of your classes to mark attendance.
- If all students are present, simply tap on the class and select 'Submit Attendance'.
- You will be presented with a pop up message which asks 'You still have students with unmarked attendance. Would you like to mark them all as present?' Select 'Yes' here to mark all as present.
- You can also tap on the attendance button for an individual student to view the attendance codes and select one from the list.
Marking attendance for a teaching group on a previous day
This feature can be used if you've forgotten or missed a roll call for a past class.
- Tap on the calendar button on the bottom of the screen
- Under the calendar, the classes that are on the selected day will appear
- Tap a past date and select the teaching group that is overdue
- Mark attendance for that teaching group
- On a student's profile you can view their attendance overview by tapping on their name (from either the attendance screen or from the Students list) .
- Tap the 'Attendance' tab to see a breakdown of the number of days the student has been present, absent or partially absent.
Viewing a list of your students
- Tap the 'Students' button on the bottom of the screen
- You will be able to see only the students you teach and their base class – unless you have been given access to see all students, in which case you will see all students in the school
- You can tap on the name of each student to view more information on them
- You can also use the search function at the top of the screen to search for a specific student
Viewing and recording behavior incidents
- You can view your student's behaviour overview by clicking on their name (from either the attendance screen (when taking the roll) or from the 'Students' list)
- You can record a behaviour incident for a student by clicking on their name (again from either the attendance screen or from the 'Students' list)
- Tap on the student's 'Behaviour' tab and select 'Add Behaviour'
- You can then select a positive or negative behaviour from the list to assign to the student.
- You can then also enter a comment regarding the behaviour event and tap 'Submit Behaviour'
Note: the behaviour categories and allocated points are set up by the admin in your school.
- Tap on the 'Classes' button on the bottom of the screen
- Here you can see all the teaching groups you currently teach and use the search function to find a specific class
Use your device's camera to take photos of your students which will automatically set as their VSware profile picture.
- The user will only have permission to see and use the Photos feature if this permission has been granted to them by school management.
- Photos taken are uploaded directly and not saved to the device used to take them
- Go to the student's profile - you can do this through the teaching group, or by searching in the Students list.
- Tap on the photo icon beside the blank photo - this will open your device's camera
- Take the picture and tap 'Save'
- The photo will upload automatically to the student's profile
Note: The student's account page will also display their base class, birthday and student email address if they have one.
Admin users and the app
While this app is designed specifically for teachers, it is possible for other staff members to log in.
Use case example: A secretary needs to update students photos. Instead of calling groups of students to the office to line up for photos, they will be able to visit teaching groups as they are happening during the school day and upload photos on the spot using their mobile phone or tablet.
They would just need to log into the app, search the teaching group (they most likely will have access to all students and all classes) and upload the photos of each student one by one.